Citizen Office:2444350116

Religious monuments

   The three churches in the three districts of the city, Agios Athanasios in the centre (Rum Palamas), Agios Athanasios in Magoula – Chantaki (Chantakli Palamas) and Agios Charalambos are remarkable religious monuments.

The Church of St. Athanasios of Rum Palamas

  

In the centre of the town of Palamas rises a unique architectural structure, a Byzantine monument, which is the oldest and grandest in the Thessalian plain, which illuminates all believers, not only as a place of worship and prayer, but also as a centre of love, charity and culture.

This wonderful church commemorates the memory of the Archbishop of Alexandria, Athanasius the Great, who is one of the greatest figures of the Church, since he was the founder of the homoeus of the Orthodox faith and doctrine.

   Traditionally, the Church of St. Athanasios of Rum Palamas was built in 1318 AD during the Byzantine period and rebuilt during the Turkish occupation in 1810 AD.
In Palamas, where the Greek element prevailed over the Turkish element, the magnificent holy church of Saint Athanasius was founded in 1810 AD, which today is the Metropolitan Church of our city. It has a surface area of 500 square meters and has the Byzantine architectural style, which is cross-shaped with a dome.

Some inscriptions found in the temple are irrefutable evidence of the foundation of this magnificent building:

  • Specifically, there is a carved inscription on the outside and above the south entrance, which was intended for men, on which the date 1810, the Metropolitan of Larissa and All Greece Gabriel (B), the commissioner Matthew Anagnostou, as well as some other information is written.
  • Inside the same entrance (south entrance), there is an inscription for the fresco painting of the church, dating back to the time of Metropolitan Meletios IV [1832-1865], includes names of priests and the date 8 June 1832, that the fresco painting of the church was completed
  • At the north entrance, on a stone doorway, another inscription states that on the 1st of June 1811 the church was completed from the ground up, which is an important and undeniable fact

In the temple there is a third entrance-door from the West, for women. Another characteristic of these doors is that they were built low enough so that the Turks could not enter the temple on horseback, during the period of Ottoman rule.

   The interior of the church with the Holy Step, the Narthex, the main room of the church with the 24 windows, the wood-carved and gilded despotic throne of 1881 and the conical pulpit with the pierced carving, which are inspired by monasteries of Meteora and the art of Mount Athos, together with the frescoes – hagiographies, make the atmosphere of the church extremely religious and solemn.

  The impressive and imposing wooden carved iconostasis, dated 1833, which was elaborated with a particularly refined art by Athonite monks for three (3) years, stands the test of time and remains well preserved to this day, decorating and separating the Holy Step and the Main Church.

   On the outside of the church, on the West and South there is a covered area that ends in arches, known as kamares, which are supported on round elegant columns, made of white hewn stone. This space contributes greatly to the needs of the church from a practical and aesthetic point of view.

 In the past there were shops on the west side, a cemetery on the north side, a school and guesthouses on the east side outside the church.

   We therefore understand that the establishment of such a church of great expense used to express and still expresses the economic soundness, piety, faith and in general the great religiousness of the inhabitants of our municipality from that time until today.

Many priests have served in the church of St. Athanasiοs in Roum Palamas from 1811 until today, with the last one being the respected Archpriest Father Papacharalambos, who continues to serve the church, inspiring and guiding the faithful for more than thirty (30) years.

Looking with awe at this temple, which is the symbol of our Orthodoxy, the Ark of Christian Culture, we owe a great debt of gratitude to all those who contributed to its foundation, from the stonecutters, painters, hagiographers, woodcarvers, goldsmiths, to the tireless factors of its continuous operation, the Metropolitans, the archpriests, the priests, the chaplains, the commissioners of the councils, since in this church for more than two hundred (200) years, thousands of sacraments of the Eucharist, blessings, confessions, marriages, deaths, baptisms and other divine services have been and continue to be celebrated.

  

Holy Church of Agios Charalambos in Palamas 

The Holy Church of Agios Charalambos was built in 1838 and is a two-storey remarkable monument. There is a dedicatory inscription to Poseidon on a marble goniolite, which was used as building material for the construction of the annex of the Holy Church of Agios Charalambos in Palamas and is part of an ancient dedicatory column. The inscription is written in two verses in the Thessalian dialect ‘Lourhus Potei Douni Onetheike’, which means ‘Lourhus entrusted to Poseidon’. From the shape of the letters the inscription can be dated to the 3rd century BC.

   The cleaning of the inscription from the mortar covering was carried out in June 1994.

Holy Church of Agios Athanasiοs Chandaklis Palamas

The old church of Agios Georgios in Lefki (D.E. Phyllou) is a three-aisled basilica with a raised chandelier along its north side and a spacious narthex on its west side. The church is inscribed with frescoes in two layers. The first layer, developed on the walls and arches of the nave, was painted by the painter Theodore from Agia Larissa in the mid-18th century. The second layer occupies the walls of the sanctuary steps and dates back to the 19th century. The wood-carved and gilded church iconostasis dates back to 1759.

A (tiny) stone Christian monument of unparalleled art and aesthetics, Agios Athanasios, chapel of the old abandoned parish church, which is located in the centre of the village, behind the new parish church.

The small catholic church  is a one-room “tetrokist” runic building. The characteristic feature of the small church is the three chandeliers, which were added later on. Unfortunately, the narthex was demolished to build the new church. Inside the catholic small church, there are obvious traces of the  filling. The small catholic church of Agios Athanasios,  dates back to  1730.

The construction of the church was completed in 1811 in the style of a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a dome. It is located in the centre of the city of Palamas and is called Roum (Roman) because this district was inhabited by a native Greek population. The temple’s winged altarpiece  was completed in 1833, while the frescoes of the church (second layer) which were painted by Samaritan painters were completed in 1835. According to tradition, the church of St. Athanasiοs of Roum Palamas was built in 1318 AD in Byzantine times and rebuilt during the Ottoman rule  in 1811. The church is celebrated every year on the 2nd of May.

The church was built in 1801 as a three-aisled basilica. It is located on the south side of the city of Palamas in the district “Hadaki” and is celebrated every year on the 18th of January.

It was built in 1838 in the style of a three-aisled vaulted church with a two-storey narthex, an external staircase and a porch. Its chapel is the chapel of Agios  Nektarios.

It was founded on 20/09/1986 by the High Priest Mr. Kleopas.

It was constructed in 1976.

It was founded on 10/04/1856. As it can be seen from various surviving relics, the church was built on the foundations of the Holy Monastery of Agios Athanasios Koutsari.

It was established by Metropolitan Cleopas on 13/3/1990. It was inaugurated by Metropolitan Theokletos on 31/5/2003.

It was built before 1800, demolished and rebuilt in 1977 on the altar of the old church.


It was built in 1872 and the winged altarpiece was built in 1877.

Constructed in 2000.

It was founded in 1968. Completed in 1971.

The church was built in 1744 AD, as a surviving inscription attests. Its style was three-aisled basilica. In the earthquake of 1916 the church was vastly damaged and was rebuilt in 1920 in the form that it still has today.

It was founded on 12/10/1975 by the blessed Bishop of Thessaly and Fanarriofersala, Mr. Kleopas A. It was consecrated in 1979. The church decoration with hagiography began in 1979. The construction committee consisted of the following.

Constructed on  21/11/1888.

It was founded in 1971 (Sunday of Agion Panton) according to a marble plaque in the niche of the Sanctuary, by the Archpriest Konstantinos.

Year of foundation 1723.

It was constructed in the year 1966 by the Archbishop Kirill I. Marble inscription at the south entrance of the church.

It is located in the southeastern bed of the New Holy Church of Zoodochos Pigi.

The church was built in 1735 AD and is celebrated every year on the 18th of January.

The Holy church was built in the 16th century AD on the mountain “Stroggylovouni” or “Asterion”. Thus, it is one of the oldest Churches in the area. According to sources during the Ottoman rule, the church functioned as a “secret school”. The frescoes located mainly in the vestibule with representations concerning punishments of sinners and the Second Coming.

The church was founded by Metropolitan Kirillos on 1/3/1962 and inaugurated on 26/10/1962.

The church was renovated in 1936 and according to sources there was another small church in its place.

The above mentioned Church was founded in 1900 and is celebrated every year on the 26th of October

The church was renovated in 1930 AD by Metropolitan Ezekiel of Velanidia. It was completed in 1936, while the altarpiece was completed in 1944.

The church was constructed in 1862 by Metropolitan Stefanos of Larissa. In 2010 the renovation works began and were completed in 2018.

The church was built in 1811 on a hilltop, just outside the village of Metamorfosi. The church is celebrated every year on August 6, gathering pilgrims from all over the county and beyond. Thus, it is the largest religious festival in the region.

It was founded in 1962. It was consecrated by Metropolitan Kleopas on 26/10/1975.

It was founded in 1814.

It was founded in 1860.

It was founded in February 1802.

The church was built in 1867 according to an inscription.

The construction of the church began in 1962 and was completed in 1970. The frescoes were painted in 1974.

Founded in 1976.

Founded in 2004.

It was founded in 1836.

It was founded by Metropolitan Kleopas on 27/5/1976 and was inaugurated on 7/11/1982.

It was constructed during the 17th century.

The Holy Church was founded on 5/5/1964 by Blessed Metropolitan Kirill I of Thessaly and Fanariofersala. The following were the construction committee. It was completed in 1972. The hagiography decoration of the church began in 1990 under the late Metropolitan Cleopas I of Thessaly and Fanariofersala. It was consecrated on 12/02/2022 by the former Metropolitan Theoklotos I of Thessaly and Fanariofersala.

Year of construction 1730. It was consecrated on 14/10/1919 by the late Bishop of Thessaly and Fanariofersala, Mr. Iezekiel A. The church is full of hagiographies.

Chapel with year of construction 1831-2. It was consecrated on 15/5/1930 by the late Metropolitan Ezekiel A. It was consecrated in 1990.

In the area where the Holy Church of Agios Athanasios is located today, there was a small temple from 1780. In 1856 the old church was built, which was destroyed by the earthquake of 1950. In 1955 it was rebuilt in its present form.

It was founded in 1965.

It was founded by Metropolitan Konstantinos in 1968 and was consecrated in 1970.

It was founded in 1740.

The church was built in 1858 AD and is celebrated every year on the 26th of October.

It was founded in 1858. It was consecrated on 8/7/1859

It was founded in 1785.